The newest dress in my collection has been in progress since May 2010! Normally I do not let things drag on that long, but I wanted this one to be perfect. I was also hand sewing it, and the sleeves required several trial versions. The last few stitches were added while visiting my aunt and when I finished we had a photo shoot in her parlor.
Original inspiration came from a dress picture on the Sense and Sensibility England Blog. It was a snapshot from a museum, of a sea foam colored dress covered with ornate trimming. I attempted to find the exact color, but was unsuccessful. This silk I found on sale for $4 per yard after Christmas, but there was only 2.25 yards left. This is the most precisely cut dress I have ever made, and I was left with about 10 square inches of fabric left!
Eventually I think I will add more trimming. Typically my dresses get a little something new added every time I wear them and as this post suggests, I am still looking for the perfect event.