July 06, 2010

New 1880s Dress!

Yay, I finished something! Can you believe it? This dress is for some of the new volunteers at the living history museum I work at. Out at the homestead, the daughter's name is Cora, and this year we have two new teen volunteers to play the role.
This dress is perfect for the two girls because they are close to the same size, but just different enough to make a normal bodice tight on one, and baggy on the other. Since this dress belts at the waist it can work for each of them and we get Cora looking consistent without making two dresses.
I drafted the bodice using a diagram from Fashions of the Guilded Age, Volume 1 by Frances Grimble. There is a commercial pattern for this bodice available but I was too impatient to wait for it, and too frugal to buy it.
Typical 1880s pleating on the cuffs, and piping along the shoulders and along the top of the pleats. Other than that, there is no trimming because this is another work dress.

11 comments:

Rebecca Jane said...

beautiful! oh my goodness! I want it...haha :)

SinginginHisName said...

Yes I just wanted to say beautiful! I love the fabric and the style! great job!

SisterlyLove said...

Wow. I love that! How gorgeous and genius too! Great idea.

Genevieve

Joanna said...

Oh! It is gorgeous! I wonder that you don't want to keep it for yourself, :-) it looks so nice on you.

Kathleen S. said...

Perfectly lovely!!! Love the yoke above the pleated bodice! And it should work quite well for each lady...you made me laugh though..."keeping Cora consistent"...LOL! :D

The fabric you chose is so cute! Not at all the stereotyped dull-Civil-War print, but so lively! Paiselies are the greatest. ;)

Adelheide said...

Thank you all! And Joanna, I do have a horrible habit of wanting everything I make. In this case, I am making my own :) I'll show pictures of it as soon as it is done.

Miss Eyebright said...

I am really in love with that bodice! It's beautiful!

Roxanna said...

Wow! The costume person at a living museum - what an extraordinary way to showcase your wonderful talent. It is truely a beautiful dress.

The Fox Foodie said...

Love it! And you look so great wearing it in this photo shoot. I do think you should be a model AND a seamstress!

Patricia said...

Wow, You are so talented! I just love this outfit!
Patricia

Patricia said...

Wow, You are so talented! I just love this outfit!
Patricia