June 17, 2010

Summer... please!

This morning I was browsing through my favorite recipe site, Taste Spotting, and I came across a recipe for fudgesicles. Feeling spontaneous, I mixed up a half recipe and put them in the freezer before I left for work.

When I got home this afternoon, they were frozen perfectly, and made a tasty afternoon snack. Of course, it would be nice to have summer weather to go along with this frozen snack... this week it has been cold and rainy, and we've been told to expect snow on Sunday! I will definitely make these again this summer though, with raw honey and organic cocoa powder I think they are a superior version to any fudgesicle available in stores.
I mixed up a half batch and it was just enough to fill six molds. We have had these molds since I was in elementary school and I had forgotten how fun it is to make popsicles! Of course you could use small paper cups and popsicle sticks if you didn't own molds.
For some reason mine separated during the freezing so I was left with a dark/light chocolate popsicle. It didn't hurt the taste and texture though.

Fudgesicles
Ingredients:
3/4 cup of milk (any kind, the original recipe used coconut milk, I recommend low fat)
1/2 cup of honey (or other sweetener)
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of cocoa (hot chocolate mix works too, but adjust the sweetener you add)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter
Preparation:
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine all the ingredients and mix until well blended - about five minutes. Cool for about 15 minutes, or until it's close to room temperature. Add the mixture to popsicle molds and freeze for at least 3 hours.

2 comments:

Kathleen S. said...

Just wondering...maybe you had a foam problem? Almost looks like it, but doesn't look like your mixture was that way. Glad it didn't affect the texture and flavor! Oh horrors! :D lol

Say, you are NEVER too old for popsicles!!!!!

Adelheide said...
This comment has been removed by the author.