June 22, 2010

Robin Hood Tunic - complete

And here it is! Modeled on, The One Who Shall Remain Faceless...

For the fabric, I wanted to use linen, but due to the high cost (and the inability to get it anywhere in town) I ended up using a secondhand green sheet. It was in like-new condition, and it is thick enough to hold up well as a tunic. I used a basic 18th century shirt pattern as a base. I've been making a lot of shirts for a client of mine so the pattern was still fresh in my mind. The hood I drafted using an old hooded cape as a reference. For the parts that lace up I used narrow ribbon to make little loops for the leather cord to go through. The hood has lacing up the back so when you wear it down the quiver fits through the gap. Some of the pictures in my previous inspiration post do a good job of showing this detail.
The sides lace up too, which I think is a fun touch. Around the hood and sleeves is a trim detail that I made by tearing two strips of fabric, leaving the edges raw, and sewing them on top of each other.
It's only two months late for my friends birthday, but I'm sure he won't mind! Now, if I've inspired you, go check out the wonderful BBC adaption of Robin Hood.

June 20, 2010

Sunday Thoughts

So acknowledge today and take to heart that the Lord is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other.

~ Deuteronomy 4:39 ~

June 18, 2010


The last part of my green 1860s ensemble is a knitted Sontag. I've never actually used it while reenacting, but it seems like it would be good on chilly mornings.
I used a pattern that I found somewhere online. Unfortunately I can't exactly remember which one. Here is a pattern from Ragged Soldier that is something similar if you wanted to knit one yourself.

June 17, 2010

Summer... please!

This morning I was browsing through my favorite recipe site, Taste Spotting, and I came across a recipe for fudgesicles. Feeling spontaneous, I mixed up a half recipe and put them in the freezer before I left for work.

When I got home this afternoon, they were frozen perfectly, and made a tasty afternoon snack. Of course, it would be nice to have summer weather to go along with this frozen snack... this week it has been cold and rainy, and we've been told to expect snow on Sunday! I will definitely make these again this summer though, with raw honey and organic cocoa powder I think they are a superior version to any fudgesicle available in stores.
I mixed up a half batch and it was just enough to fill six molds. We have had these molds since I was in elementary school and I had forgotten how fun it is to make popsicles! Of course you could use small paper cups and popsicle sticks if you didn't own molds.
For some reason mine separated during the freezing so I was left with a dark/light chocolate popsicle. It didn't hurt the taste and texture though.

3/4 cup of milk (any kind, the original recipe used coconut milk, I recommend low fat)
1/2 cup of honey (or other sweetener)
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of cocoa (hot chocolate mix works too, but adjust the sweetener you add)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine all the ingredients and mix until well blended - about five minutes. Cool for about 15 minutes, or until it's close to room temperature. Add the mixture to popsicle molds and freeze for at least 3 hours.

June 11, 2010

1860s Jacket

This is another garment from my 1860s wardrobe. It is a wool jacket that I made from a wool tablecloth and a Simplicity pattern. It isn't the most accurate garment, but it was made on short notice for a cold weekend event in late September.

June 09, 2010

Robin Hood Tunic

My next project is to make the shirt Robin Hood wears in the BBC miniseries. It is a shirt/tunic, with a hood, made in a medium weight cotton or linen. The following are pictures I have gathered from the internet that show the best detail. Enjoy!

June 08, 2010

1860 Ensemble

Last weekend I helped out at an 1860 event at the museum. Before it started I had the chance to finally photograph most of the garments I have for the civil war era. Almost all of these were made two years ago when I spent a season reenacting.

My dress was made with Past Pattern's Dart Fitted Bodice Pattern. The sleeves are bishop sleeves that I drafted using Elizabeth Stewart Clark's book, Practical Prinkery. The skirt is simply three widths of fabric gathered onto a waistband. The hat was made last year, and I detailed its construction here.
This apron is made from a very tiny homespun check. It is made from the out of print, Simplicity 7212 pattern, but I added the straps for convenience. I know straps are not very period correct, but I really dislike pinner aprons.
And finally, here is a picture of how I did my hair. It gives a slight impression of poufs over the ears, and it what I've found that works best. I part my hair and put up a ponytail in the center back of my head, leaving the hair down that frames my face. Then, I twist and pull that hair back and over my ears, and put up all the hair together into a bun.

June 03, 2010


I sewed on pointe shoe ribbons. I've sewn a lot of them in my 12 years of ballet, and it's become as easy as pie. 6 minutes a shoe. Done in 12 minutes.
These were my first pointe shoes, in all their worn-out glory. They look so tiny now.