March 15, 2010

An Impatient Quilter

I really don't like to quilt. Every time I finish a quilt I remind myself that I never want to make another. But then my scraps build up, and somehow, I find myself quilting. It's a curse, I'm sure of it...
But I've realized that the main reason I don't like quilting is because I'm an impatient quilter. I want to cut out the pieces, and have a finished quilt by the next day. In reality, quilting doesn't work like that. It is a long process, and one that (when rushed) brings about undesirable results. So I have to slow down sometimes, and realize that it is okay for a project to take weeks (months even, when school gets in the way), and enjoy the creative process to its fullest.
This quilt has been in progress since last summer. I hand sewed the top in a two day frenzy, and then it sat waiting in my trunk. I pulled it out over Christmas break, and with leftover batting pieced together, and a bleached muslin back, began to quilt it. I machine quilted, and after additional time during my weekends home, it is finally finished.

The fabrics are some of my favorites. They all remind me of 1940s flour sacks. The yellow was from a cute dress my Mom made, the binding was from an adorable apron (which I really should show you pictures of) and the green was from this dress. The blue has cute little girls in Dutch caps herding ducks :)
I have no idea where the quilt will go, but I do know that I never want to quilt again!

4 comments:

Jane said...

That is so pretty! I love the colors, and you're right, it does look like 30's fabrics!
~Jane~

Jane said...

Oops, you said 40's, not 30's. Either one I guess. lol

Impatient Tai Chi Student said...

at first read, i thought u said impatient quitter! until i saw the beautiful quilt. :) I think u will quilt again...

SisterlyLove said...

It's absolutely beautiful!!