February 15, 2010

Cheese

My friend Kami has just started a food blog, I encourage you all to go visit it here, The Fox Foodie. She is doing some wonderful posts about everything relating to food, including our recent adventure in cheese making.

It started when we heard about a local farm that sold cheese supplies. They had a free demonstration at the library two weeks ago, which we attended. There we learned how to make Fromage Blanc, a soft cheese, and a dessert called Coeur a la Creme which tastes like the filling to a cheesecake.

The following weekend, the two of us decided to use our sample culture and make our own cheese. Here it is hanging from my cabinets, dripping whey. All I did up to this point was heat a gallon of whole milk, add culture, and let sit for 12 hours. What's left inside the bags is the finished Fromage Blanc.

--I am glad that my roommates know me well enough by now to not be phased by cheese hanging from the cupboards for 6 hours dripping an unsightly yellow liquid, and reeking of spoiled milk!
Next we seasoned our cheese in various ways. The batch below has sugar and cherries to make a sweet spread. It can be used like cream cheese on bagels. We also made a batch with garlic and Italian seasoning which was amazing on Rosemary and Olive Oil Triscuts. Later I also had it spread on a sandwich with turkey meat--soo good! We also left a little bit plain.
Kami's pink dishes were perfect for photographing cheese in the day before Valentines! We mixed up some of our cheese into a batch of Coeur a la Creme and chilled it in these little heart shaped pans. This one below was flavored with lemon curd and was so amazingly good we didn't have the patience to wait for it to chill. If we had waited longer it would have had a more cheesecake like texture, but as it was, it was very creamy.

With the remaining cheese I made these Fromage Blanc Brownies. They were well appreciated by the college boys downstairs, but I probably wouldn't make them again as the texture turned out strange.

Kami has written an excellent post about our adventures also and I would recommend reading it. All the recipes are there too!

3 comments:

SisterlyLove said...

Ohhh! YUM! crazy good lookin'! I have awarded you over at the three spinsters! haha!! I think you have a lovely blog! here it is: http://3sistersofgrace.blogspot.com/2010/02/willy-nilly.html

I am also inlove with this extreme ironing idea!!! HAHA!! It's hilarious!! hahaaaaa...
i hope you are well and happy!
Aimee

The Fox Foodie said...

Oh, I love this! It was so fun making cheese with you that day! We need to decide what our next baking/cooking/eating/blogging adventure will be! Oh, and thanks for linking to my blog :-)

Adelheide said...

Thank you Aimee!

Kami, do you want to help us celebrate Pi day? (March 14th) I'll be sending out invites on Facebook soon. It should be a fun time!