September 27, 2009

18th Century Corset

This corset was the first item I made for an eighteenth century outfit. It was made from Butterick 4254.
The outer layer is silk dupioni from a dress I made years ago. It had grown too small so I recycled it. The lining is a cotton twill, and there is a layer of muslin in between. I purchased the boning from an excellent supply company, Grannd Garb. The steel whitebone is what I have used on this and my 1860's corset.
I sewed this corset by hand while listening to the lectures for an online class. It was very rewarding. After it was finished I had to make a few slight fitting alterations, but overall I fit the pattern exactly which was refreshing.
I had the pleasure to be working on this at the same time Anna Kristine was working on her Elizabeth Swan Corset. You should visit her blog to see her lovely work.

3 comments:

Elinor Dashwood said...

Awesome! I would like to make that corset pattern sometime. You did a lovely job!

Gloria said...

What beautiful work! I love the color you chose.

Anna Kristine said...

I love your corset. :) I really reeealy need to finish mine. :)