July 09, 2009

Bleak House Costumes--Ada

On of the supporting characters in Bleak house is Ada. She is an orphan living with Mr. Jaundice, and Esther is her companion. She is moderately wealthy and has many lovely gowns. This one below has an interesting shoulder detail that reminds me of 1860's styles. I apologize for the media player which is in most of the screencaps. I haven't had the time to crop it out.



This dress is absolutely stunning. The sheer undersleeves are unusually, and I love all the bodice detail.
Here you can see it a little better.

The back of this dress has such an interesting stripe detail. Thanks to the mirror you can also see that dark blue trim which circles around her neck and comes to a point in front.

Ada is on the right here with her back to us, but my attention was caught by the gathering on the back of her bodice. It mimics the front gathering which is so common during this era.

Here is the front of the dress. Ada somehow managed to have the strangest facial expressions every time I pressed pause!

She wore this dress a lot during the film. The sleeves are beautiful.

This shows the lace collars that were prevalent in the movie.

Here is a closer view, also a good shot of the striped fabric.

I loved this dress because of the way the stripe in the fabric was used. The whole bodice looks pieced together with stripes running all over the place. Unfortunately you can't really see it in this picture, I'm sorry.

And that concludes the dresses of Ada, I hope something may inspire you!

3 comments:

Elinor Dashwood said...

Lovely! :-D

I couldn't help but mention one of my favorites of her outfits, which she wears when Richard changes his profession the first time. I think the colors and style are gorgeous! :-)

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/mewofer/adadress.jpg

Elinor Dashwood said...

Now that I think about it, the style seems almost identical to the dress in pictures 5 and 6. Just the colours are different... ?

Adelheide said...

I noticed that quite frequently, that the styles of dresses were the same, with different fabric. Perhaps they were trying to save money on costume design, or the costumer just really, really, liked that style! :D