May 26, 2009

Hats...

I'm in a hat making frenzy this week. With two events this weekend I decided it was high time for to add hats to my wardrobe. I am very picky about hats so I spent a lot of time deciding what to work on.

For the early 1800's I love this bonnet Gwyneth Paltrow wears in Emma. I have tried to make it before, but to no avail. Perhaps a second attempt will be better.






Choosing something for the 1860's was a little more difficult. The spoon bonnets that are so prevalent during that time are really not my style and I don't like how they always appear to be falling off. Thankfully I learned that I am still young enough to wear a hat. This shop sells a charming 1860's hat, but it is rather expensive for a one day event, and it is a little late for me to be ordering something.




Miller's Millinery has a pattern for a similar hat that is constructed out of buckram.


I just so happen to have buckram leftover from this impulse buy...

Hopefully some finished products will come from my sewing room soon!

2 comments:

Anna Kristine said...

Oooh...I love that Emma hat. :)Thanks for dancing with us yesterday...it was so fun!

I gave you an award: http://theartofclothes.blogspot.com/2009/05/award.html

See you Saturday!

Cheri said...

Will look forward to seeing your finished products. Those hats are lovely indeed!