April 17, 2009

A Summer Dress

Here at last is one of the things I did over spring break. You remember I made that great list? Well, I sewed the last thing first! It just goes to show that even the best laid plans need to be revised sometimes.

Last summer I altered a bridesmaid dress for a friend. As a thank you, she gave me the dress after the wedding so I could make something out of its beautiful yardage. Out of the skirt alone I was able to cut out this summer dress. It just so happens to also be my favorite color. What a blessing!

The pattern I used was Simplicity 3678. This was my first time sewing with stretch fabric, and I loved how it turned out. The dress slips nicely over my head, and is very comfortable.

5 comments:

civilwardancer said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!! :)
Kiehl

Hannah said...

OOH! It's lovely! :)

SisterlyLove said...

Stretchy is good! Better than seam ripping yourself out yes?
It's a beautiful dress!

Any tricks to sewing on stretchy fabric? I'm thinking about making a knit skirt.
Genevieve

Adelheide said...

Umm, yeah - Genevieve, I was trying to move past that incident! There are too many people reading this who will never let me forget it. :D

I would suggest that you get the right needle, that usually helps a lot. Then, just use the stretch stich on your machine and go slowly!

Jenaveve said...

Fabulous, I love this. Great job for a first time stretchy (of which I have yet to try!).