April 21, 2009

1880's Dress

The 1880's dress is finally finished! It has been cut out, and in various stages for several months, but it took one week of furious sewing to complete everything.


I started out sewing it on Clare Evangeline but then Moby Dick took over (my main sewing machine, I'll tell you about his name later) The seams which are visible I did by hand.

The design is based on several dresses from the book Fashions of the Gilded Ages Volume One by Frances Grimble. The base pattern I used was Truly Victorian 420.


Thanks to my lovely sister Jennifer for the pictures.

5 comments:

SisterlyLove said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I love it! The peplum is so gorgeous! I have questions....
Is that an 1880's corset you have on? If so, what pattern did you use? And, are you going to wear a bustle with it?

Beautiful!
Genevieve

Anna Kristine said...

Oh it turned out amazing Heidi! I'm in love with the peplum too!
Reminds me how I really ought to be working on my 1860's dress....*sigh*
Great job on pictures Jenny! :)

Adelheide said...

No I don't have an 1880's corset on. I am just wearing my civil war corset. Based on what I've heard from others, the only difference between the two is the 1880 one is longer. Several people have told me that they think it is more uncomfortable.

I won't be wearing a full-on bustle with this, it is supposed to be a work dress. I do plan on making a petticoat that has more fullness in the back.

SisterlyLove said...

beautiful! Inspiring!
~Marguerite

Katy said...

What a beautiful dress, I could never sew that much by hand! I'm happy that you found my blog as well, because it helped me find yours!
~KatySue P.