February 14, 2009

Very Mary Poppins-ish

My new carpet bag is nearing completion, and I always feel in a Mary Poppins mood when making carpet bags. Of course it is not actually for me, it is for the living history interpreters at the museum I sew for, but I have a special fondness for it.

The fabric is simply scrumptious! It is a reproduction carpet from the 1800's, made by Family Heirloom Weavers. They are such a great company. Just last week we got a box in the mail with a chunk of Regency reproduction carpet. Incredible is too dull a word to describe its beauty, it was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

This is a close up picture of the frame, which my talented neighbor makes for me. That is also the lining scrunched up down there, I am waiting to attach it until after the handles are attached. There is a board in the bottom to give our bag some shape, and there are four large pockets in the lining.

1 comment:

SisterlyLove said...

Is it for carrying carpets in?
No, made of.

:)I love it Heidi! That fabric is some of the most gorgeous fabric I've ever seen. Wow.

Happy Valentine's Day!
Genevieve